I, like
Ronnie, like to stay connected. I value texting because it allows me to keep in
touch with those close to me. I don't text much, usually just my mom because
she’s two and a half hours away, and my boyfriend while he’s at work. I update
Facebook whenever I remember to, usually just to make special announcements. I
can’t remember the last time I updated my personal Twitter. This is simply
because I don’t feel inclined to share every little detail of my day with
social media. I’m too busy trying to stay involved with my surroundings to be
sharing them on a social media platform. I think this is how Ronnie and I
differ. I do indulge in checking Facebook whenever I have time, but Buck
describes Ronnie as “[i]ntegrating his daily offline activity into his online
identity” (9). I know plenty of people like Ronnie who cannot go to an event
without updating about it and being on their phone the whole time “staying
connected” but ironically missing the opportunity to be connected with the real
life around him. I know people like Ronnie who “on their walk to class in the
morning, takes a picture of [fill in the blank] and tweets it” (9). These
people seem to me like they are walking around looking for Facebook, Twitter,
or Instagram opportunities, and not just enjoying the walk to class. That is
not me at all.
“Writing
researchers need to consider how these literacy practices are connected to
academic literacy practices and how these different influences on literacy work
together.”
As Buck
states in the next paragraph, developing a digital literacy can help increase
academic literacy in that “students are not only writing more, but are also
effective in crafting and communicating specific messages to specific
audiences.” I think this is because posting a status on Facebook may not be the
same as posting a tweet to Twitter. I know I am friends with older family
members, employers, etc. on Facebook, but only my peers follow me on Twitter.
Some subjects may be appropriate for Twitter but not for Facebook, and vice
versa. Being able to craft a message specific to an audience helps in academic
writing in knowing who the audience is and how to address the topic at hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment